Study in United States

Many international students apply each year to study in the US. However, to be able to do so, students will need a student visa to gain entrance into the United States. This visas do not technically fall under the category of a visitor and therefore have different rules and requirements. If you would like more information on this topic, visit some of our other pages, for you to get what you want.



Universities in the United States of America offer the widest range of courses to international students. Be it Bachelor’s, Master’s or Ph.D. degrees from 4- year universities or Associate degrees and certificate programs from Community colleges. 


It is also one of the top destinations to attract international students from all around the world. Along with the quality education, Universities in the United States also offers world-class higher education to students from every corner of the world and its Education system is known for its flexibility. Students studying in United States of America are not limited to a rigid coursework and universities offer admissions to students three times a year. 


Students who couldn’t take admissions in the fall semester can catch up the same year by taking admission in the spring semester. Also every year more than a million students from Non-US institutions transfer to US universities owing to the flexible credit transfer system in the US. Students earn credits in each semester and these credits can be transferred from one institution to another. Many students take admission into community colleges and transfer to 4-year universities after completing 2 years of their education.



  • Undergraduate Level
  • Transfer Student
  • Graduate Level




A master’s degree is very important to attain higher-level positions in career fields such as library science, engineering, behavioral health, and education. Also, international students from some countries are only permitted to study in the USA at a graduate level after completing the required credits in their home country. 


A few entrance tests are required to be taken for entering a graduate program, such as GRE for master’s programs, LSAT for Law courses, and GMAT for MBA programs. The graduate program for a Master’s degree usually takes 1-2 years to complete, and Students pursuing a master’s program are required to work on a research paper called a Master’s thesis or Master’s project as a part of their curriculum.




A transfer applicant is an international student who has finished high school and completed some coursework at the postsecondary level in Canada or abroad. You will be considered a transfer applicant even if you have completed one course at the college or university level.

Note: U.S. students in a dual curriculum program who receive a high school diploma and an associate’s degree in the senior year are still considered to be a high school applicant.




Transfer applicants are evaluated on both completed postsecondary coursework and high school results. They must meet the same admission requirements, including English Language Proficiency, subject requirements and competitive admission requirements.







Transfer applicants follow the same step-by-step application procedures as undergraduate, Graduate and PHD. You will need to submit transcripts for both high school and postsecondary work, plus course descriptions for your postsecondary courses. Document submission deadlines are earlier for transfer applicants. See Documentation.

Can you work in the US with a Study Visa?

Many students wish to work part-time while working in the US, so that they can support themselves to some extent. In this case, a few restrictions will apply. F-1 students who want to work are not permitted to work off-campus during their first academic year, but may work in certain on-campus jobs.


After the first academic year, F-1 students may work off-campus as long as the employment is Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Training Extension. F-1 students must ensure any off-campus employment they procure is related to their area of study and is approved prior to the start date by the Designated School Official who manages SEVIS, and USCIS.




Studying in the US is not a direct pathway to immigration, but there is potential to work in the United States post-graduation. An international student is expected to leave the United States following graduation unless they apply to participate in post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT). This allows F-1 visa holding students to work part-time or full-time in a role that must be directly related to their major area of study for up to 12 months. Certain STEM students may be eligible for a 24 month extension if they meet eligibility requirements. To apply for OPT, a student must request that the designated school official at their academic institution recommend them.


Furthermore, F-1 Visa holders may be eligible to petition for an H-1B visa and request a change of status, which is known as a “Cap-Gap.” Doing so fills the gap between the time when the F-1 visa expires and the H-1B visa and employment begins. However, the application must be completed in a timely fashion, as the dates of effect are very specific. While an H-1B visa is temporary, after the 6 year period it is valid, the beneficiary may be eligible to apply for a Green Card.




To qualify for an F-1 visa, USCIS states that you must:


  • Be enrolled as a full-time student in an “academic” educational program, a language training program, or a vocational program
  • Be accepted into a school that is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • Be proficient in English or be enrolled in classes that will lead to English proficiency
  • Have sufficient funds to support yourself during the entire proposed course of study
  • Maintain residence abroad and have no intention of giving it up


We Love To Be Social, Why Not Follow Us...

error: Content is protected !!